Updating SQL and server migration
Insight is a website which accesses data from the SIMS database and from its own Insight database. The databases are hosted on an SQL server and the website is hosted on an IIS server. Typically the SQL server and IIS server will be different servers/different virtual machines.
When migrating Insight, you may be migrating the SQL server (databases), the IIS server (the website) or both. The instructions to migrate the SQL and IIS server are shown below. If you are migrating both the SQL and IIS server, you should migrate SQL first.
Migrating the Insight Database
You first need to migrate the SIMS database to the new SQL server instance. The Insight database then needs to be moved to sit alongside the SIMS database. To do this:
- Make copies of the SIMS_INSIGHT.MDF and SIMS_INSIGHT.LDF files from the existing SQL server instance.
- Update the local/shared connect.ini files on the IIS server hosting Insight. The servername field in these files needs to be set to the new SQL server instance. The connect.ini files are typically found in c:\program files\sims\sims. net\connect.ini and s:\sims\connect.ini
- Delete the web.config file for Insight (typically found via C:\inetpub\wwwroot\INSIGHT)
- Download and run the latest Insight service pack from the TASC Software website ( ) on the IIS server. This will create a new, empty INSIGHT database will be created on the new SQL server instance alongside the SIMS database. There will be no users or settings in the new empty database.
- Use SQL Management Studio on the new SQL Server instance to locate the physical paths to the new, empty database using: Right-click -> Properties -> Files (scroll nearly all the way to the right to see the "Path" column).
- Stop the SQL service using SQL Management Studio (right-click on the server name -> Stop), and replace the new, empty SIMS_INSIGHT.MDF and SIMS_INSIGHT.LDF files with your backed-up "filled" versions from the old server.
- Restart SQL on the new server instance (right-click on the server name -> Start).
- Re-run the Insight service pack (from step 3) on the IIS server that hosts the Insight website.
Migrating the Insight Website
- First perform a new installation of Insight on the new IIS server (see the installation page for instructions).
- Make a copy of the _Personalisation folder from the old Insight server. The _Personalisation folder is found in the Insight directory which is usually c:\inetpub\wwwroot\INSIGHT\_Personalisation Copy this folder into the Insight directory on the new server.
- Update the local/shared connect.ini files on the new IIS server. The servername and database fields in these files needs to be set to the SQL server instance. The connect.ini files are typically found in c:\program files\sims\sims. net\connect.ini and s:\sims\connect.ini
- Re-run the Insight service pack on the new IIS server. On the Data tier tab, make sure that the Connect INI location field matches the location for the local connect.ini file on the new IIS server. If you have changed this location go to the Commit tab and click Begin.
- Delete the Insight website from the old IIS server using IIS Manager.